Login Register
 °

University halls evacuated after cooker fire

By Bedfordshire On Sunday  |  Posted: January 23, 2013

Putnoe campus of University of Bedfordshire

Putnoe campus of University of Bedfordshire

Comments (0)

A HALLS of residence was evacuated on Tuesday night after a blaze broke out in a second-floor kitchen.

Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue (BFR) was alerted to the fire at the University of Bedfordshire on Polhill Avenue at 7.28pm.

It is thought the fire was started in a cooker in a communal kitchen and fire fighters had to use breathing apparatus to reach the kitchen due to thick smoke.

Thirteen storeys of the building were evacuated of students but there were no reported injuries.

Police sealed off the junction with Goldington Road and Polhill Avenue.

A spokesman for BFR said: "It was a relatively small fire but there was a lot of smoke and our crews needed breathing apparatus to reach the fire.

"It was a caused by burning food and the amount of oil caused the smoke to set off fire alarms on all floors."

The situation was declared under control by around 8pm.

Read more from Bedfordshire News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES