Published: 14/12/2010 22:17 - Updated: 15/12/2010 10:27

Late Lawless strike sends Luton through


FA Trophy First Round replay
Park ViewRoad
Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Alex Lawless' stunning strike in the dying seconds got Luton Town out of jail in their FA Trophy replay at Welling United.

Alex Lawless
Alex Lawless
A blunder from goalkeeper Mark Tyler had seen Hatters trail at the break and it took until eight minutes from time for them to draw level against the stubborn Blue Square South outfit.

Jason Walker got the equaliser before Lawless snatched victory at the death, setting up a second round tie at home to Uxbrdge.

It was a lively start from the hosts but their only chance of the opening ten minutes was drilled wide by player/ manager Jamie Day from nearly 30 yards.

Luton keeper Marc Tyler was also being kept busy as Welling put in some testing crosses and long balls forward. However, the veteran stopper comfortably dealt with these.

At the other end, Jason Walker was making a nuisance of himself, shooting wide on 12 minutes. Gradually the Hatters started to impose themselves on the game and on 20 minutes he went close with a header after he had met a Lawless cross from the right.

Six minutes later, Godfrey Poku won the ball on the edge of the box and fired a low shot just wide of Wings goalie Gareth Stewart.

Two minutes later, he gained the ball in midfield and set up fellow former St Albans City player JJ O'Donnell, only for Stewart to comfortably save his strike from 35 yards.

The former Bournemouth stopper then saved a header from striker Walker on 33 minutes after he had been picked out by Dan Walker.

Welling had seen plenty of the ball without creating many clear cut chances, but Loick Pires went close to scoring in the final two minutes of the half, when he shot wide from 20 yards.

Then in first half added time, they took the lead in bizarre circumstances.

Tyler cam out to meet Jack Oberstellar's cross from the left but fluffed the catch at the near post where Luis Cumbers was there to tap in.

The hosts went looking for a second goal when play resumed after the interval but it was the Hatters who came close on 50 minutes when Dan Walker headed wide after Lawless' free kick into the box was not dealt with.

Tyler then produced a good save four minutes later from Cumbers after he had been put through by Joe Healy.

The Welling striker was keen to add to his tally and curled a shot just wide from 18 yards after Pires had headed down Healy's cross into his path.

The Wings' defence were also doing their job with Town youngster Cauley Woodrow and Lawless both having efforts blocked.

Then on 74 minutes Stewart did well to keep out Taiwo Atieno's shot from point blank range.

On loan Barrow forward Walker grabbed an 82nd minute equaliser.

He latched on to a long ball forward before rifling home from 25 yards, despite Stewart getting a hand on it.

Then in added time, Luton won a succession of corners and when substitute Newman Carney's corner fell to Lawless outside the area, he drilled it home to send Luton through in front of the lowest ever attendance for a competitive Hatters match.

LUTON: Tyler, Lawless, Hinton, Lacey, Asafu-Adjaye, D. Walker (Patrick, 76), Besta (Carney, 56), Poku, O'Donnell (Woodrow, 68), J. Walker, Atieno Unused subs: Kidd, Tavernier

REFEREE: Rob Whitton

ATTENDANCE: 404 (76)
< Back
Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo