Published: 22/07/2011 10:18 - Updated: 22/07/2011 10:21

Barnes-Homer shoots down Seagulls

Pre-season friendly
Llanelian Road
Thursday, July 21, 2011

Matthew Barnes-Homer made it two wins out of three in Wales to beat Colwyn Bay and bring an end to Luton Town's mini pre-season tour of the Principality.

Matthew Barnes-Homer
Matthew Barnes-Homer

Handed the captain's armband, Kevin Pilkington started between the sticks with Ash Deeney, JJ O'Donnell, Alex Lacey partnered and trialist Will Antwi at the back.

New signing James Dance made his second appearance on the left wing with Adam Watkins, Godfrey Poku and Christian Tavernier filling in alongside him in the midfield, whiled Danny Crow partnered last term's top goalscorer up front.

The Blue Square Bet North hosts started strongly with a number of hefty challenges going in. They should have gone ahead midway through the first period when Danny Lloyd was put through one-on-one with Pilkington, but he fired into the side netting.

The veteran stopper was then called into action again to prevent an Gaz Evans effort from bending in.

Lee Davey was next up to worry the skipper when he found the side netting.

There was little in the way of goal threat from Luton until a Tavernier header looped off the top of the crossbar in the closing stages of the half before Barnes-Homer was denied at the far post by goalie Zak Jones.

After the young Hatters midfielder was replaced at the break for trialist striker Drewe Broughton the Seagulls should have broken the deadlock when Poku had his pocket picked by Evans only for the midfielder to thump against the post when through on goal.

It proved a costly miss for Colwyn Bay as the Hatters went up the other end on 50 minutes and Crow's vision put Barnes-Homer through where lofted over Jones and into the net.

Goalscorer turned provider soon after but Broughton could only direct at the stopper, who was again on hand to keep the deficit at one goal when he thwarted Watkins.

Luton substitute Jean-Philippe Yamfam was next to call Jones into action, but the youngster's strong effort was blocked.

Town just couldn't find the second goal despite the best efforts of Broughton, Amari Morgan-Smith and Watkins. Their misfortune kept the Welsh side in it and, but for a top drawer save from Pilkington to deny Damien Allen, they would have drawn level.

The visiting keeper proved in stubborn mood though and three minutes from time he prevented Sean Doherty from earning a draw. It saw Yamfam's deft, but off-target chip in the final moments, hve little consequence as Town travel back to England with a third friendly victory of the summer under their belts ahead of a county derby at Bedford on Saturday .

LUTON TOWN (first half): Kevin Pilkington, Ash Deeney, Will Antwi, Alex Lacey, JJ O'Donnell, James Dance, Godfrey Poku, Christian Tavernier, Adam Watkins, Matthew Barnes-Homer, Danny Crow.

(Second half): Ryan Da Silva, Drewe Broughton, Jean-Philippe Yamfam, Amari Morgan-Smith, unnamed trialist

Subs not used: Mark Tyler

< Back
Reddit Facebook Digg Twitter Bebo