Published: 23/01/2013 10:24 - Updated: 23/01/2013 10:24

University halls evacuated after cooker fire

Written byADAM THOMPSON

University of Bedfordshire University of Bedfordshire

A HALLS of residence was evacuated on Tuesday night after a blaze broke out in a second-floor kitchen.

Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue (BFR) was alerted to the fire at the University of Bedfordshire on Polhill Avenue at 7.28pm.

It is thought the fire was started in a cooker in a communal kitchen and fire fighters had to use breathing apparatus to reach the kitchen due to thick smoke.

Thirteen storeys of the building were evacuated of students but there were no reported injuries.

Police sealed off the junction with Goldington Road and Polhill Avenue.

A spokesman for BFR said: "It was a relatively small fire but there was a lot of smoke and our crews needed breathing apparatus to reach the fire.

"It was a caused by burning food and the amount of oil caused the smoke to set off fire alarms on all floors."

The situation was declared under control by around 8pm.

< Back
Reddit Facebook Digg Del.icio.us Twitter Bebo

Latest News

Today's Features