Bus passengers have been left with old run-down buses after their new vehicles were sent off to London to provide transport during the Olympic Games.
People getting on buses were thrilled last year to discover new double deckers had been rolled out in the town.
However that joy subsided after it was discovered the six new vehicles were being replaced with old, single decker buses until September.
One disgruntled passenger said: “We’ve only just had new double deckers brought in and then, after returning from the River Festival on Sunday, I discovered that the old single decker buses, which have seen better days, have replaced them until the end of the Paralympics. I don’t object to them going down to London to make the country look good but these buses are very old and not in the best condition.” A spokesman for Stagecoach said: “We are very pleased that our buses are going down to London, however our regular customers will notice a difference in the vehicles being used in Kempston. We have taken a few rural buses from other parts of the UK, which are a few years old, to replace the town services. All buses will have the same drivers as normal and will be running the same services.
“The new buses will return after the Paralympic Games which should be in early September.”